Creating the conditions for others to be their best selves.
My name is Brad Allen.
My purpose is to Create the conditions for others to be their best selves.
I am an accredited performance coach/mentor and skilled facilitator.
My background is in Business, Project and People Management, primarily in the IT sector.
How I do it
My diverse background and skills set has transferred well into workshop facilitation, where I wear the hat of a co-designer, lead facilitator, process facilitator or knowledge worker.
I am an active participant in the workshop design and delivery process. This process makes optimal use of valuable resources in solving problems, facing down challenges and strategy building and execution.
Coaching & Mentoring
My coaching & mentoring approach draws on my 20 years of professional experience as well as the tried and tested methods from a number of thought leaders including:
- Peter Drucker
- David Allen
- Dr. David Rock
- Marshall Goldsmith
- Dr. Mark Goulston
- Eckhart Tolle
- Greg McKeown
- Daniel Goleman
- Timothy Gallwey
- Myles Downey
- John Whitmore
- The Co-Active coaching authors (Laura Whitworth, Henry Kimsey-House, Karen Kimsey-House, Philip Sandahl)
- Julie Starr
My approach is as follows:
My core tools include:
- Jess™ tools for resilience-building
- SEPA (Start and End Point Analysis) (As-Is-To-Be with actions)
- Root Cause Analysis | Appreciative Inquiry
- The Wheel of…
- Psychometric diagnostics: Signature Strengths, VbIM, 16PF, JIT/MBT, EI/EQ, Firstbeat
In structured coaching conversations, I utilise various methods, including:
- Provocative Conversation
- Elicit Greatness
- Decisions: Values and Choices
- Navigate through curiosity
- Recognise the Perfection in Every Situation
- Focus on what is important
- Champion the Client
- Respect the Client's Humanity
- Intervention Styles
- Question Styles
- The 3-Step Coaching Technique: Who, What & How
- Intellectual Openness
- Emotional Openness
I use several situation specific tools, that include:
- Questionable beliefs
- Poor Performance
- Goal not progressing (What will happen…)
- Getting to the root of a situation
- Exploring the Issue (via GROW)
- Confused about Purpose / What is your purpose
- Leading groups when merging / collaborating
In building momentum and depth, I use a raft of techniques including:
- 101 Elements of a Person
- 360 Feedback
- Appreciative Inquiry ('4-D' Model)
- Challenging ANTS (Automatic Negative Thoughts)
- Bulls Eye Value Survey
- Essentialism (3 minimum & 3 extreme)
- Force-Field Analysis
- FUDCRUD (testing for a personality disorder)
- Future Picture Framing (NLP)
- Did I do my best… | (Daily) Active Questions
- Good Outcomes (Planning for)
- Goal Setting (SMART, PURE, CLEAR)
- Organisational Analysis
- Understanding Type, Strengths & Traits
- Strengths Circle (or wheel)
- Switching Perspectives (exercise)
- The Personal Agenda for Change
- The Autobiography
- Understanding Values
- What's important right now?
- What is needed to succeed further?
- The Perfect Day
Being the person you want to be!
We choose how and when we put ourselves in the way of experiences that are aligned with our values and that make use of our stronger strengths. When we do that we are more inclined to feel enthusiastic and engaged. We also have a better chance of being the person we want to be.
A better understanding of who we are can help us make better choices about where we put ourselves and what we do when we are there. When we follow-through on our commitments, when we do the things we promise ourselves and when we are appropriately engaged with everyone and everything around us, we make optimal use of our precious time and energy. A better understanding of more optimal ways to think and act increases the likelihood that what we do is done in a way that makes the best use of our available time and energy.
My coaching and mentoring will share with you the idea that values and traits are at the core of how we experience the world around us. We use values and traits to build and adopt beliefs. We use beliefs to drive our behaviours, consciously and unconsciously. We use beliefs to evaluate our experiences, and this directly influences our sense of progress and achievement. Also, in a sense, beliefs encompass our goals in that goals represent the desired future state of something that we believe to be important.
Within the coaching journey, an important focal point is the gap between desired and actual behaviours and experiences. Since our beliefs are used to drive our behaviours and to evaluate our experiences, focus on the required beliefs also becomes important during coaching.
Building efficiency in thinking and doing
My coaching and mentoring will share know-how relating to these five aspects of efficiency in thinking and doing:
Brad’s mentoring, will help you look at interactions:
- Your thoughts and how they are collected and organised;
- Your interactions with the physical world including the office space, the desk and filing, and how specifics are managed;
- Your interactions with the electronic world, such as files and folders, emails, instant communications, and ultimately anything that can and does grab attention;
- Your interactions with those above, below, and around to ensure those interactions are more appropriate and that information can be processed and handled quickly and easily.
With Brad’s mentoring you will reach the place where:
- Requests are received, processed, absorbed, deflected, or deferred without interrupting flow.
- Everything is managed in a timely, calm and focussed manner.
- Better decisions are made.
- Those around you know where you are going and what needs to get done to get there.
- You have confidence that what you are doing at any given moment is the most important thing to be doing at that moment, i.e. there is no regret, concern or guilt about what you are not doing.
Within this place you will find that you have control of your choices and you are making maximum use of your time whilst minimising the use of your available energy and resources. In this state you are being simply effective.
I am an accredited performance coach/mentor and skilled facilitator. My background is in Business, Project and People Management.
Since 1993, I’ve been bringing people, technology and process together. I’ve worked across functional, geographic and cultural boundaries to deliver over 50 business reengineering, software development and IT transformation projects. I’ve helped launch five businesses and three new business units.
- 6 years leading corporate IT change programs;
- 10 years leading enterprise IT system and software integration services;
- 3.5 years building educational software;
- 3 plus years coaching and facilitating senior managers.
The projects I’ve managed include solutions for Eircom, ESB, Eirgrid, Forfás, Radio Telefìs Èireann, and Cork County Council, as well as the guiding of a 30 strong geographically spread team of software developers in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt from Waterfall to Agile Scrum.
In 2014, I formally branched into coaching and facilitation. I’ve facilitated group learning across multinationals covering offices in Ireland, the UK, Mexico, India, Switzerland and Czech Republic. I have delivered coaching and mentoring to dozens of professionals, managers and leaders, and helped them focus on what is important in order to realise abundant success in all aspects of their personal and professional lives.
My focus is helping others perform better and achieve better outcomes. As well as measurable success in this regard I have a rich experience of Corporate life, specifically in driving and managing technology adoption within corporate environments, designing and delivering IT solutions, and facilitating agile based web software development.
I create the conditions for others to be their best selves. I bring creativity, discipline and professionalism to the coaching/mentoring and facilitation of businesses and their leaders. My strengths include creativity, honesty, having perspective and being persistent. And, above all I give a damn. My approach motivates and helps create the momentum to bring about real change.
I have a can-do-attitude and hands-on approach, having employed a multitude of coaching tools, business models and frameworks, and used project management philosophies from, the early incarnations of Prince and PMBOK, to Waterfall and to Agile Scrum. I consider continuous improvement as a matter of course and I am skilled at understanding and transforming sales, business and delivery processes and technology.
Read my blog posts
Clarity from Complexity
I am a Director of Cogtio. Cogtio, provide Jess™ licencing, training, certification and support.
Cogtio is the single master license holder and are licenced to use Jess™ and to train, certify and licence others to use Jess™.
Jess is a methodology and a set of physical tools. It helps people to perform at their best and stay well through life and work stressors. Jess™ Programs enhances the ability of coaches, counsellors and facilitators to help individuals and teams understand what will help them growth and retain resilience.
Visit jess.global to learn more about how we enable resilience building.
Contact me at Cogtio to learn more about how I help other to perform at their best and stay well through life and work stressors.
Solving complex problems
I do Freelance Facilitation work with Starfish Taylor.
Starfish Taylor helps large, multi-national organizations solve complex problems through creatively designed, artistically-inspired, event-based consulting projects, meetings and workshops, and targeted advisory services.
In the Beginning…
Simply Effective is the trading name of TPAssist LTD (Ireland).
TPAssist (Time & Productivity assistant) started life as a means to deliver customisations and templates for Mindjet Mindmanager®. MindManager was then as it is today, the market leader in the mind mapping software Market. As Mindjet evolved their software into the powerful business tool that it is today, the need for customisations diminished. The search for new ways to assist with time management and productivity led to David Allen’s Getting Things Done® approach. Initially a complement to the software development, consulting in productivity soon became the primary focus. In 2014, in addition to offering business, project and people management, I formally branched into coaching and facilitation.